Update: this action, now closed, ran in November 2013.
The situation is urgent. This week the Senate is debating and voting on amendments to the National Defense
Authorization Act (the NDAA, S. 1197) - a piece of "must-pass" legislation that has become a magnet for amendments
promoting various ideological agendas, including the anti-Iran-diplomacy agenda.
Call your Senators today (toll free - (877) 429-0678). Tell them: OPPOSE amendments to the NDAA that would undermine the current diplomatic effort to deal with Iran.
Senator Kirk (R-IL) has already offered a "poison pill" amendment that would effectively kill Iran diplomacy and
any chances for an agreement and leave only the military option on the table. It would also give a green light to
Israeli military action that would embroil the U.S. in another Middle East war. Senator Rubio (R-FL) has introduced
his own amendment on the same topic. Other similar amendments may be coming down the pike.
Call your Senators TODAY (toll free - (877) 429-0678). Tell them to reject the Kirk amendment, the Rubio amendment, and any other amendments that would threaten Iran diplomacy and put the U.S. on the path to another Middle East war.
You can call your Senators toll free via the Senate switchboard: (877) 429-0678 (if you want to confirm who your
Senators are, you can find them here).
Ask the switchboard operator to put you through to one of your Senators. Tell him/her:
- I am a constituent.
- I am outraged by efforts by some in the Senate to undermine the Obama Administration's ongoing diplomacy with Iran.
- I urge you to OPPOSE the Kirk amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act (Amdt #2295 to S. 1197).
- I urge you, also, to OPPOSE any other amendments that would undermine diplomacy by imposing new sanctions or otherwise tying the hands of negotiators.
- If there is even the slightest chance that diplomacy can resolve U.S. concerns over Iran's nuclear program, I believe it would be reckless and grossly negligent for the Senate to undermine that chance.
- The American people want a diplomatic solution with Iran, not more war.
When you're done, call the switchboard back and ask for your other Senator, and deliver the same message.
Every call counts!