*Brought to you in cooperation with Americans for Peace Now, where the Round-Up was born!
New FMEP programming this week:
- New FMEP Occupied Thoughts podcast: Scorched Earth & Settlements in Jerusalem, ft. Daniel Seidemann (Terrestrial Jerusalem) in conversation with Kristin McCarthy (FMEP).
(CONTINUING RESOLUTION) HR 6119: Introduced by DeLauro (D-CT) 12/2, passed in both the House and Senate 12/2 (keeping the government open until February). With respect to the Middle East:
- An effort in the House to add to the CR the extra $1 billion for Israel for Iron Dome failed (see letters, below, for details of that effort), but Jewish Insider reported 12/3 that Gottheimer told them that “if [supplemental Iron Dome funding] is not in the next [continuing resolution], I’m not voting for it”. Given wall-to-wall Republican opposition to the CRs, Gottheimer’s comment suggests a readiness to hold the next CR hostage to the Iron Dome funding (i.e., a readiness to join Republicans in shutting down the government, in a midterm election year, if his demand to add the Iron Dome funding isn’t met). Also, in a move that should surprise nobody, at least one Republican is already using the (new) CR to (once again) bash Democrats for allegedly not funding Iron Dome — notwithstanding the fact that Democrats passed an Iron Dome funding bill that has been blocked in the Senate for more than 2 months by Rand Paul, R-KY, and notwithstanding the fact that every House Republican was clearly going to vote against the CR, even if it HAD included Iron Dome funding.
- In the Senate, a last-minute effort to attach Iran sanctions legislation to the bill likewise failed. This as Senate Amendment 4869, submitted by Hagerty (R-TN), seeking to add the “Iran Sanctions Relief Review Act of 2021” (aka HR 1699/S. 488) to the CR. As described by its backers, this legislation is “an effort that would enable Congress to approve—or block—any effort by the administration to suspend or terminate U.S. sanctions against the Iranian regime.” See previous reporting in the Round-Up – 2/26/21, 3/5/21, 3/12/21
(NEW IRAN SANCTIONS) HR 6089 (pdf): Introduced 11/20 by McCaul (R-TX), Meeks (D-NY), Wilson (R-SC) and Deutch (D-FL), “To clarify that section 107 of the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act applies sanctions with respect to unmanned combat aerial vehicles following a 2019 change by the United Nations providing additional clarity to the United Nations Register of Conventional Arms,” aka, the “the Stop Iranian Drones Act (SIDA)” (an acronym that will no doubt sound odd, to say the least, to the ears of most francophones…). Referred to the Committee on Foreign Affairs, and the Committee on the Judiciary. Also see:
- Press release: McCaul [the legislation would “clarify that U.S. sanctions on Iran’s conventional weapons program under CAATSA include the supply, sale or transfer to or from Iran of unmanned combat aerial vehicles. The legislation also states that it is US policy to prevent Iran and Iranian-aligned groups from acquiring unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) that can be used in attacks against the United States or our partners.”]
- Tweets: McCaul; AIPAC thank-you Tweet; Deutch; McCaul; Meeks, McCaul
- US/Intl Media: Jerusalem Post, Politico, Middle East Eye, Asharq Al-Awsat,
- Iran media coverage: Securitization of Iran’s drone capability; Another sign that America has not changed its behavior (Nour News); US lawmakers call for stopping Iran’s drone power (Mehr News)
- Next steps: The bill is scheduled to be marked up December 9th in the House Foreign Affairs Committee.
(NEW IRAN SANCTIONS) S. XXX: On 12/3, Jewish Insider reported that Toomey (R-PA) and Cardin (D-MD) on 12/2 introduced new Iran sanctions legislation entitled, the “Masih Alinejad HUNT Act.” As of this writing, that bill does not show up in the Congressional Record. However, it is a safe bet that it is identical to the amendment Toomey and Cardin submitted to the NDAA on 11/2, SA 4858 (text), consisting of legislation also called the ‘Masih Alinejad HUNT Act.’” This text would require a report and the imposition of sanctions “with respect to persons who are responsible for or complicit in abuses toward dissidents on behalf of the Government of Iran.” Jewish Insider quotes a FDD fellow stating “Iran’s capability and intent to continue these operations stems from its own risk-reward calculus of collective coercive action if exposed and caught…Put differently, a firm response, such as mandatory sanctions on individuals engaging in transnational crime and repression, can attempt to change Tehran’s calculus.” JI also notes that the bill “provides for optional sanctions against banks doing business with such Iranian operatives,” with the FDD fellow noting that these “broad” secondary sanctions are “an interesting measure which might grab Tehran’s attention.” Also see:
- Cardin (D-MD) 12/02/2021: Twitter thread – “Happy to introduce the Masih Alinejad HUNT Act w/ @SenToomey. The brazen attempt by the Iranian regime to kidnap @AlinejadMasih on US soil cannot go unchallenged. The US must exercise leadership against authoritarian regimes attempting to silence dissidents beyond its borders. Link to image The Masih Alinejad HUNT Act will target Iranian agents who target and silence dissidents, both inside and outside of Iran using Magnitsky sanctions because these individuals are corrupt. We have to deny corrupt individuals the right to use our banking system & visit our country. Today, we send a clear message not only to the Iranian regime, but to all authoritarian regimes that if you engage in transnational repression and target dissidents on US soil, there will be dire consequences.”
- Toomey (R-PA) 12/02/2021: Tweet – “The Iranian regime’s attempt to kidnap @AlinejadMasih — a U.S. citizen — on U.S. soil is a brazen escalation, and it requires a proportional response. That’s why @SenatorCardin and I are introducing new sanctions legislation to hold Iran accountable and deter future attacks. Link to image”
- Cardin (D-MD) 12/02/2021: Retweet of @AlinejadMasih – “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas but Islamic Republic terror doesn’t stay in the Middle East. need bipartisan coordinated international campaign to confront regime’s terror. Please listen to my remarks in the Senate to introduce Masih Alinejad HUNT act Link to video”
- Cardin (D-MD) 12/02/2021: Retweet of @AlinejadMasih – “I was honored to join @senatorCardin and @SenToomey as they introduced the bipartisan “Masih Alinejad Harassment and Unlawful Targeting Act.” More senators are lining up to support. It’s time to punish Islamic Republic terrorism and threats against journalists and activists. Link to image”
- Cardin’s tweet about the amendment,
(TPS FOR LEBANESE) HR 6095: Introduced 11/30 by Tlaib (D-MI), Dingell (D-MI), Lofgren (D-CA) and Nadler (D-NY), “To designate Lebanon under section 244 of the Immigration and Nationality Act to permit nationals of Lebanon to be eligible for temporary protected status under such section, and for other purposes.” Referred to the Judiciary Committee and Budget Committee. Also see: Tlaib press release; Tlaib Twitter thread; Dingell (D-MI) tweet
(NO RETURN TO IRAN NUCLEAR DEAL, NO SANCTION RELIEF) Republican House letter to POTUS: On 11/29, Rep. Fallon (R-TX) led a letter to President Biden, cosigned by 24 fellow House Republicans, expressing concern that Biden “is trying to revive the failed Iran nuclear agreement through indirect talks with the Iranian regime and and may be seeking an even worse so-called ‘less-for-less’ deal to provide sanctions relief and reverse President Trump’s successful [sic] maximum pressure campaign.” The letter closes with an explicit threat (likely aimed as much at Iran as at the Biden Administration): “When Republicans return to the majority soon, we look forward to reasserting Congress’ authority over economic sanctions by passing the Maximum Pressure Act and circumscribing the ability of your administration, like the Obama administration before it, to lift sanctions and abuse waiver and license authorities to provide sanctions relief to Iran. We also look forward to using all legislative tools available, including the Iran Nuclear Review Act (INARA), to force a vote on the lifting of sanctions.” Also see:
- Tweets/statements: Jackson (R-TX-13), Lesko (R-AZ-8), Reschenthaler (R-PA-14), Steube (R-FL-17), Fallon (R-TX-4)
- Media coverage: Biden Admin Ignores Congressional Inquiries Into Iran Sanctions Relief (Free Beacon 11/29)
(UNILEVER MUST OVERRULE BEN & JERRY’S, OR ELSE) Torres at al letter to SEC: On 11/26, Rep. Torres (D-NY) led a letter, cosigned by Garbarino (R-NY), Gottheimer (D-NJ) and Fitzpatrick (R-PA), to Securities and Exchange Commission Chairman Gary Gensler urging the SEC to look into whether Unilever, the parent company of Ben & Jerry’s, needs to amend its regulatory filing to reflect the risks to the corporate giant’s shareholders following the decision in July to stop selling its products in the West Bank and East Jerusalem. The letter refers to this decision, inaccurately, as a “boycott.” NOTE: This letter misrepresents – or in an act of gross negligence, errs on – a fact that is material/central to the letter’s argument. It does so by asserting (falsely) that in addition to Arizona, Florida, New Jersey, New York, and Texas (which have already undertaken divestment against Unilever) “30 other states have enacted ‘anti-BDS’ laws, all of which may consider divestiture in response to public appeal.” In fact, only 13 states – including AZ, FL, NJ, NY, and TX – have Israel boycott-focused divestment laws on the books.
- Media coverage: House legislators urge SEC inquiry into Unilever and Ben & Jerry’s (Jewish Insider); Rep. Torres asks SEC to review Unilever filings over Ben & Jerry’s Israel boycott [sic] (New York Post); Bipartisan lawmakers urge SEC to review Unilever filings over Ben & Jerry’s Israel boycott [sic] (Fox Business News); US lawmakers urge SEC inquiry over Ben & Jerry’s boycott (i24 News); US lawmakers urge securities inquiry over Ben & Jerry’s Israel boycott (Israel Hayom); Bipartisan lawmakers call for SEC inquiry into Unilever over Ben & Jerry’s boycott (Jewish News Syndicate)
- Torres: Tweet from FMEP’s Lara Friedman – “The US Greater Israel crowd’s favorite ‘progressive’ Democrat (& friends) embodying ‘Progressive Except on Palestine’, and showcasing one virulent strain: ‘progressive except on political free speech/protest critical of Israel.’”; Twitter thread from FMEP’s Lara Friedman – “Re: Torres as illiberal Great Israel crowd’s favorite “PEP”, several people have pointed out that he is the only member of Congress on the speaker list of the upcoming IAC summit, alongside line-up that includes the likes of Adam Milstein. As a reminder, IAC’s lobbying arm is one of key engines behind anti-boycott legislation across the US creating a free speech exception to protect Israel from protest.” Key context: Ritchie Torres Is the Future of “Pro-Israel” Politics (Alex Kane in Jewish Currents)
- Tweets/press releases: Gottheimer (D-NJ), Gottheimer (D-NJ-5), Garbarino (R-NY-2), Garbarino (R-NY-2), Gottheimer (D-NJ), Gottheimer (D-NJ-5)
(HERE WE GO AGAIN! NEW EFFORT TO PUT IRON DOME IN CR) Gottheimer et al letter to Biden: On 11/24, Rep. Gottheimer (D-NJ) led a letter, co-signed by 84 House colleagues (bipartisan) urging President Biden to “specifically request that Congress include supplemental funding for Israel’s Iron Dome in an appropriations bill enacted before the year’s end – including in any anomalies you may request to a new continuing resolution.” As a reminder, a continuing resolution (CR) is (in theory) stop-gap funding measure intended to keep government operations afloat at current funding levels until regular appropriations bills can be passed. As a reminder, back in September House Democratic leadership previously sought to add the EXTRA $1 billion in aid for Israel to this year’s CR, in effect seeking to move the funding with zero discussion or oversight in the House. Facing strong objections – on both substantive and procedural grounds – the $1 billion in EXTRA aid for Israel was removed from the CR, and instead passed expeditiously (i.e., 2 days later, with almost no debate) as freestanding legislation. This legislation has been blocked in the Senate ever since by Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY). With this letter, Gottheimer appears to be determined to start another battle over the $1 billion in the House – something his Republican colleagues will no doubt embrace enthusiastically as a hood to once again bash any Democrats who object (notwithstanding the fact that Republicans are virtually guaranteed to be voting against any CR, irrespective of whether it includes the EXTRA $1 billion for Israel). Also see:
- Media: 84 House members call on Biden to push Iron Dome funding in year-end appropriations bill (Jewish Insider); Congress members pen letter calling for Biden to intervene on Iron Dome funding (Jewish News Syndicate); Will the Iron Dome get replenished? House lawmakers push for it (Jerusalem Post)
- Statements/Press releases: Gottheimer Tweet 11/29 – “I’m leading a bipartisan group of 87 Members to urge the President to support supplemental investment for the Iron Dome missile defense system — to help save both Israeli and Palestinian lives. This is critical to protecting innocent lives and to our own national security.”; re-tweeted by Cuellar (D-TX-28); “Thank you” tweet from AIPAC to Gottheimer from Upton (R-MI-6); Gottheimer (D-NJ-5) 12/02/2021: Tweet – “Investment in the Iron Dome missile defense system helps save Israeli & Palestinian lives — plus it’s critical to American national security. That’s why I’m leading a bipartisan call to urge @POTUS to support this critical supplemental funding.”
- Context: Portman rules out quick passage of Senate Iron Dome supplement bill [due to Rand Paul opposition] (Jewish Insider, 12/1)
- See Section 1, above, for Gottheimer quote threatening to join Republicans in voting against any future CR (and potentially shutting down the government) if it doesn’t include the $1 billion for Iron Dome.
(LET ISRAELIS COME TO US VISA FREE!) Rice et al letter to Blinken & Mayorkas: On 11/22, Reps. Rice (D-NY), Fischbach (R-MN), Meng (D-NY), Mast (R-FL), Luria (D-VA), and Zeldin (R-NY) led a letter, cosigned by 52 House colleagues (bipartisan), sent to SecState Blinken and Secretary of Homeland Security Mayorkas urging them “to expediently [sic – hahahaha – Typo or Freudian slip?] add Israel to the Visa Waiver Program, and provide an update to Congress on the status of the current negotiations.” Also see:
- More tweets/press releases: Rice (D-NY-4), Diaz-Balart (R-FL-25), Fischbach (R-MN-7), Gonzalez (R-OH-16), Bilirakis (R-FL-12), Rice (D-NY-4), Trone (D-MD-6), Gottheimer (D-NJ-5), Jacobs (R-NY-27); Mast (R-FL-18), AIPAC tweet applauding the letters (and here)
- Background: Policy Analysis #3: Israel Is Not Eligible for Visa Waiver Program (IMEU)
- Media: Letter urges Biden administration to include Israel in visa waiver (Jerusalem Post); Inside Israel’s push to join U.S. Visa Waiver Program (Jewish Insider – excerpt: “major obstacles exist to Israel’s inclusion in the program. The percentage of Israeli visa applicants rejected annually remains high, well above the cut-off allowed and, in the past, American officials have raised concerns about Israel’s treatment of Palestinian-Americans at its borders, among other things.”)
- Admin views: Tweet from DHS 11/17 – “.@SecMayorkas met with Minister @Ayelet__Shaked to discuss Israel’s efforts to join the Visa Waiver Program. DHS remains committed to working with Israel to help it meet all Visa Waiver Program requirements.“
(CONCERN ABOUT E-1) Pocan et al letter to Blinken: On 11//2, Rep. Pocan (D-WI) led a letter to SecState Blinken, cosigned by 25 House colleagues (all Democrats),“to express immense concern about the Israeli Government’s efforts approval of settlement construction in the 12 sq.km. E-1 area near Jerusalem.” Pocan tweet is here. Also see:
- Media coverage: 25 US Democrats urge Blinken to stop Israeli E-1 West Bank construction (Jerusalem Post); Democratic Lawmakers Warn Against ‘Doomsday’ Israeli Settlement Plan (Haaretz); Democrats warn Biden administration against Israel’s ‘doomsday’ settlement plan (Middle East Eye)
(DEMANDING ANSWERS FROM BIDEN ADMIN RE IRAN HUMAN RIGHTS) Steil et al letter to Biden: On 11/19, Reps. Steil (R-WI), Banks (R-IN), Wilson (R-SC), Lamalfa (R-CA), and Fallon (R-TX) sent a letter to President Biden calling for it to prioritize human rights in Iran and implying that in the effort to secure a new nuclear deal with Iran, the Biden Administration has failed to live up to its own commitment to human rights: [“Your administration has claimed that its foreign policy would be based on human rights and democracy. The people of Iran, who continue to contest the regime at every available opportunity, are similarly seeking human rights, democracy, and a government that represents their values and interests. Given the gap between the people and the regime in Iran, we see standing with and supporting the Iranian people as not only a strategic imperative but also a moral one.” The letter goes on to demand answers to a series of questions related to what the Biden Administration is (or is not) doing to defend/promote human rights in Iran. Also see:
- Media coverage: GOP Demands Biden Admin Commit to Sanctions on Iranian Human Rights Abuses (Free Beacon)
- Tweets/press releases: Mast (R-FL-18) 11/27/2021: Tweet – “Iran’s outrageous human rights abuses can’t be ignored. GOP Demands Biden Admin Commit to Sanctions on Iranian Human Rights Abuses… | freebeacon.com”
As of this writing (Friday, December 3, at 2:15pm), the NDAA (HR 4350) remains stalled in the Senate.
The (current) hold-up: After many days of negotiations – and apparent agreements – and then more disagreements, the current sticking point is Rubio’s (R-FL) insistence on holding the bill hostage to his amendment (SA 4330) seeking to attach to the NDAA his legislation (S. 65) dealing with Uyghur human rights (i.e., legislation wholly unrelated to the substance of the NDAA).
What’s the problem? S. 65 was passed in the Senate on 7/14, so in theory adding it to the NDAA should be relatively non-controversial. However, because the bill has implications for revenue, the Senate cannot simply add it to the NDAA without it becoming a poison pill (because the House will not accept the Senate violating House prerogative when it comes to initiating legislation that impacts revenue) resulting in what is called a “blue slip” — as laid out 12/2 by Schumer, D-NY, on the Senate floor. In the meantime, and notwithstanding the fact that it is Rubio’s refusal to budge that is holding up the entire bill, Republicans are have a field day painting the stalling of the NDAA as proof of Democratic unreasonableness and intransigeance.
What next? As of this writing, there appear to be two paths being discussed for getting around this Rubio amendment blockage.
- Path 1: The House may go ahead and pass its own version of the Uyghur human rights bill (HR 1155, introduced by McGovern, D-MA), enabling final passage of the measure on its own, and unblocking the NDAA (unless Republicans then produce additional demands, which is possible).
- Path 2: There are indications that the House and Senate Armed Services Committees are working behind the scenes to, in effect, pre-conference the bill (as in – rather than waiting for the Senate to pass its version, send it to the House, and then have the House demand a conference to work out differences between the two texts, they are going ahead now with efforts to negotiate a jointly acceptable version). Hoyer (D-MD) stated on the House floor on 12/2 that next week the House will (again) pass the NDAA, noting: “As I understand it, it will be the conference-agreed version of the defense bill. This has been a discussion between the House and the Senate.”
- All that being said, on 12/2 Politico reported, “Discussions are underway for the Senate to abandon the NDAA process on the floor and instead have the House send the bill over to the Senate as a ‘message from the House’ — a wonky term that just means the bill has been in both chambers already and is being sent back with an amendment. This process could, in theory, alleviate the blue-slip issue, according to two Senate sources.” It’s not clear what this report actually means. Does it mean the House will send over a “message” that it has passed HR 1155, opening the door for the Senate to adopt Rubio’s amendment and pass the bill? Does it mean the House will once again take up HR 4350, voting to replace the language they adopted previously with an (unofficial) conference version (that may or may not include the Uyghur human rights legislation), and then send a “message” informing the Senate, in effect, that the text of the bill has changed? Or something else? If this all sounds convoluted and confusing, that’s because it is.
- Finally, it is worth noting that Hill staff and observers are not openly talking about the possibility that the NDAA – long considered must-pass legislation (in importance akin to an appropriations bill) and passed every year for the past 6 decades – may actually not pass in 2021.While people seem generally pretty shocked that this is the case, the reality today is that many believe that even if the disagreement over the Rubio amendment is resolved, there is a high probability that Republicans will simply raise new demands.
What about all those other amendments? A total of 999 amendments to the NDAA have been introduced (so far) in the Senate — either as direct amendments to the bill or as amendments to the amendment-in-the-nature-of-a-substitute that will eventually become the base bill (assuming this bill is ever passed).
The previous edition of the Round-Up included a long list of Middle East-related amendments that had been submitted. In addition:
- this week Toomey (R-PA) and Cardin (D-MD) submitted yet another Iran sanctions-related amendment, SA 4858, seeking to add a new section – “Subtitle H–Iran Sanctions” aka, the “Masih Alinejad Harassment and Unlawful Targeting Act of 2021′‘ or the “Masih Alinejad HUNT Act.” This section would require a report and the imposition of sanctions “with respect to persons who are responsible for or complicit in abuses toward dissidents on behalf of the Government of Iran.” For more details see Section 1, above.
- this week also saw Sen. Sanders (I-VT) and Rep. Khanna (D-CA) raising pressure in support of an amendment to end U.S. support for Saudi military action in Yemen – SA 4535. See: Saudi warplanes carpet-bomb Yemen with US help. This must end (Sanders/Khanna in the Guardian 12/3). Also see tweets –Khanna (D-CA-17),Khanna (D-CA-17), Sanders (I-VT)
While various lists of ostensibly agreed-on amendments are circulating on the Hill and among NDAA-watchers, the drama around the NDAA demonstrates that NOTHING is actually agreed on for now – so I’m not including any of those lists here. Check next week’s Round-Up for an update.
December 9: The House Foreign Affairs Committee will hold a mark-up of various measures, including HR 6089, the Stop Iranian Drones Act (detailed in Section 1, above).
December 9: The House Foreign Affairs Committee will hold a hearing entitled, “What’s Next for Libya? The Path to Peace.” Scheduled witnesses are: Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for North Africa Karen Sasahara and Deputy Assistant USAID Administrator Megan Doherty.
December 1: The House Foreign Affairs Committee held a CLOSED Briefing with the Ambassador Linda Thomas Greenfield, US Ambassador to the UN. See:
- Jewish Insider has some reporting from HFAC members about that briefing.
- HFAC tweet 12/2: @HouseForeign – “Yesterday, members of @HouseForeign met with @USUN @USAmbUN Linda Thomas-Greenfield to discuss her recent trips to the Sahel and Israel, @POTUS’ UN priorities, the ongoing conflict in Ethiopia and more. Link to image”, re-tweeted by Castro (D-TX-20)
- Meeks (D-NY-5) 12/02/2021: Tweet – “Yesterday, members of @HouseForeign met with @USUN @USAmbUN Linda Thomas-Greenfield to discuss her recent trips to the Sahel and Israel, @POTUS’ UN priorities, the ongoing conflict in Ethiopia and more. Link to image”
December 9: The House Foreign Affairs Committee will hold a mark-up of various measures, including HR 6089, the Stop Iranian Drones Act (detailed in Section 1, above).
December 9: The House Foreign Affairs Committee will hold a hearing entitled, “What’s Next for Libya? The Path to Peace.” Scheduled witnesses are: Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for North Africa Karen Sasahara and Deputy Assistant USAID Administrator Megan Doherty.
December 1: The House Foreign Affairs Committee held a CLOSED Briefing with the Ambassador Linda Thomas Greenfield, US Ambassador to the UN. Also see:
- Jewish Insider has some reporting from HFAC members about that briefing.
- HFAC tweet 12/2: @HouseForeign – “Yesterday, members of @HouseForeign met with @USUN @USAmbUN Linda Thomas-Greenfield to discuss her recent trips to the Sahel and Israel, @POTUS’ UN priorities, the ongoing conflict in Ethiopia and more. Link to image”, re-tweeted by Castro (D-TX-20) & Meeks (D-NY-5)
Palestinian Rights/International Law/Settlements/NSO
Levin (D-MI) 12/03/2021: Twitter thread – “I strongly oppose the Atarot settlement and agree
with@SecBlinken that settlement expansion undermines prospects for a
two-state solution, the surest way to ensure true security for Israel and realize Palestinians’ human
rights.” & “My Two-State Solution Act will help to ensure U.S. taxpayer money is
not allocated to actions like settlement expansion. The uptick in settler violence and clampdown on
anti-occupation activism makes increased accountability all the more urgent for Israelis and Palestinians.”
Linked to Americans for Peace Now tweet, “The Secretary also strongly emphasized that Israel and
the Palestinian Authority should refrain from unilateral steps that exacerbate tensions and undercut efforts to
advance a negotiated two-state solution, including advancing settlement activity. Linked
to Secretary Blinken’s Call with Israeli Prime Minister Bennett.
Dingell (D-MI-12) 12/03/2021: Tweet – “.@SecBlinken strongly emphasized that Israel should refrain from unilateral steps like advancing settlement activity & I agree. The Israeli government should stop this process – an active barrier to peace – immediately.” Linked to Secretary Blinken’s Call with Israeli Prime Minister Bennett.
McCollum (D-MN-4) 11/29/2021: Retweet of @UN – “Let us reaffirm our unwavering commitment to the Palestinian people in their quest to achieve their inalienable rights & build a future of peace, justice, security & dignity for both Palestinians & Israelis.” — @antonioguterres on #PalestineDay. International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People | United Nations Link to image”
Omar (D-MN-5) 11/24/2021: Tweet – “Belgium decision is in line with @EUCourtPress ruling from two years ago. Now the question is will other EU countries comply with the EU court ruling and uphold international law? Link to image Linked to Jerusalem Post Tweet (linked to article) – Belgium has decided to begin labeling products made in Israel’s West Bank as coming from settlements and will warn companies of human rights abuses being carried out in the region.”
Castro (D-TX-20) 11/23/2021: Retweet of @jsrailton – “BREAKING NOW: @Apple just filed a major lawsuit against NSO Group. Apple also notifying some recent targets. Massive blow to the company notorious for selling spyware to dictators. And there’s more… Explainer THREAD. 1/ Apple sues NSO Group to curb the abuse of state-sponsored spyware – Apple Link to image”
Jewish Insider 12/3: Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene has a GOP challenger in Jennifer Strahan [“‘I do believe, as Americans and as Christians, that we’re called to defend and support Israel and God’s people,’ she explained. ‘I believe that we have a responsibility to do that.’ ‘I’m very grateful, as a born-again Christian, for being able to keep my relationship, first and foremost, with God above everything else,’ Strahan elaborated. ‘That’s a big reason as to why I feel called to do this is — to be able to stand for Christians, stand for Israel and stand for God.”]
Jewish Insider 12/3: Glenn Ivey gavels in [“...he opposes placing conditions on U.S. foreign aid to Israel because ‘my sense of it is that it’s aimed at sort of trying to leverage some components of negotiations with the Palestinians about a two-state solution,’ Ivey explained. ‘I’m in favor of a two-state solution. But I think we have to allow the parties to negotiate that for themselves. And I want to be careful about us trying to do too much to twist the arms, to force one side or the other to do it a particular way.’ Ivey traveled to Israel in 2005 with other local elected officials on a JCRC trip. It was around the time of Israel’s disengagement from Gaza, which left a lasting impression about the dangers of Hamas.”]
Jewish Insider 11/29: Pro-Israel America announces new slate of House endorsements [“The new batch of two Republicans and four Democrats includes Reps. David Valadao (R-CA), Ann Wagner (R-MO), Mike Levin (D-CA), Ted Lieu (D-CA), Chris Pappas (D-NH) and Shontel Brown (D-OH)”]
Bacon (R-NE-2) 11/30/2021: Retweet of @ProIsraelAm – “Learn about the 75 pro-Israel candidates endorsed by Pro-Israel America. Join us today to make a difference! Endorsements – Pro-Israel America… | proisraelamerica.org”
Wagner (R-MO-2) 11/29/2021: Tweet – “I unapologetically #StandwithIsrael. Grateful for @ProIsraelAm’s support. Pro-Israel America announces new slate of House endorsements… | jewishinsider.com”
Jewish Insider 11/22: Sheila Cherfilus-McCormick says she’ll speak up for Israel in Congress
Mocking/Misrepresenting Biden’s Comments re: the 6-Day War
Rice (D-NY-4) 12/03/2021: Tweet – “Had a productive meeting with my constituents and friends from @AIPAC. We discussed my letter in support of adding Israel to the Visa Waiver Program, Iron Dome funding, the threat of a nuclear Iran, and the historic peace agreements with UAE, Bahrain, Morocco and Sudan. Link to image”
Deutch (D-FL-22) 12/02/2021: Tweet – “Great meeting today w/ @UNSCO_MEPP Coordinator Wennesland to discuss ways the U.S. and international community can improve the lives of Israelis and Palestinians, and preserve the path to a two-state solution. Link to image”
Lesko (R-AZ-8) 12/02/2021: Tweet – “Israel, our longtime ally, has called on world powers to stop Iran’s nuclear talks immediately. In order to maintain regional stability and peace, the hostile Iranian regime’s nuclear ambitions must be stifled. Israel calls on world powers to stop Iran nuclear talks immediately… | reuters.com”
Scott (R-FL) 12/02/2021: Tweet – “This is disgusting. @Facebook must answer for this and fix it immediately. We stand with the Jewish people & our ally Israel & will always condemn antisemitism. Florida Jewish federation: Facebook algorithm blocked our ad against antisemitism | The Times of Israel”
Schakowsky (D-IL-9) 12/02/2021: Retweet of @jeneps – “Biden at White House menorah lighting ceremony: “Whether it’s in the temple of Jerusalem or the temple of our democracy, nothing broken or profane is beyond repair, nothing. We can always build back better, perhaps build back brighter.” Link to image”
Scott (R-FL) 12/02/2021: Tweet – “This is a joke & shows where the @UN’s loyalty lies. The United States firmly stands with our great ally Israel & the Jewish people & against this false rhetoric that delegitimizes ties to the land of Israel. 129 nations ignore Jewish ties to Temple Mount, call it solely Muslim… | m.jpost.com”
Greene (R-GA-14) 12/01/2021: Twitter thread – “I attended Kavanaugh’s hearing when he was being confirmed. The paid organized leftist groups had women outside and were cycling them through to sit in. They would plan their fits and screams to make it look like a real outrage. It was all fake, just like his accusers. Link to quoted tweet AOC’s buddy, Linda Sarsour went inside a group before me. She is linked with Islamic terror groups like Hamas & hates Israel just like AOC and the rest of the Jihad Squad. All the hate-America activists and Soros funded radicals were there. Link to image Never forget @AOC & @IlhanMN’s great friend Linda Sarsour’s speech when she declared fighting Trump is Jihad. All of these women are alike. They hate President Trump and they hate men. They lie and play victim to get their way. To them it’s Jihad. Liberal Linda Sarsour “Fighting Trump is JIHAD…Muslims have “NO need to assimilate”… | youtu.be Brett Kavanaugh was falsely accused by nasty women who were supported by nasty women. I was there I saw them. And now these same nasty women will do anything to keep killing their innocent unborn babies and keep funding the industry of murder. Link to image”
Wagner (R-MO-2) 11/30/2021: Tweet – “Israel is our greatest ally in the Middle East. We must always stand with Israel.”
Portman (R-OH) 11/30/2021: Tweet – “Productive meeting with leaders from Ohio’s Jewish community this afternoon. We discussed my recent trip to Israel and what we are doing to further strengthen our friendship and strategic relationship with the Jewish state of Israel. Link to image”
Risch (R-ID) 11/30/2021: Tweet – “I had a very productive meeting with the new ambassador to #Israel, @AmbHerzog, today. We discussed the continued importance of the U.S.-Israeli partnership to confront shared challenges in the region.”
Greene (R-GA-14) 11/29/2021: Twitter thread – “1. If Democrats move against @laurenboebert, who apologized, they’ll only help Lauren and reveal their true nature. @IlhanMN committed immigration fraud by repulsively marrying her brother, revers Al-Qaeda, & refers to 9/11 Islamic terror attack as ‘some people did something.’ 2. @SpeakerPelosi has already proven that she uses her position of power to attack her enemies. The Russian collusion investigation led by top liar @RepAdamSchiff has already been proven to be the real #BigLie, but Nancy won’t apologize for wasting the People’s time & money. 3. Instead, Pelosi is on her last destroy America stint in power, she’s still abusing her Speakership with another fake committee just to spread more propaganda & lies against Republicans about J6. And it’s laughable Schiff is on that witch hunt too. The Committee of Clowns. 4. Pelosi’s defense of @ericswalwell is the one that should cause every single American serious concern. Swalwell was so dumb that he was easily enticed into a sexual relationship with a Communist Chinese spy. Shamefully, Pelosi protects his seat on the Intelligence Committee. 5. Well you know how Democrats are. They are #AmericaLast and #ChinaFirst and Hunter Biden has proven that all too well in his business dealings. Pelosi probably told Swalwell to take Hunter’s racist advice & be careful who he sleeps with to protect our country’s secrets. Link to image 6. With Islamic Terrorist sympathizer Israel hating Ilhan Omar on Foreign Affairs, the biggest proven liar in Congress Adam Schiff leading the J6 Clown Committee, & CCP spy lover Eric Swalwell on Intelligence, the whole country can see that… 7. Pelosi’s absurd committee assignments and punishments can’t really be taken serious. Instead Members who vote with her deranged abuses of power, clearly don’t care about America’s security or sensibility. Rest assured [elephant emoji]’s don’t forget.”
Cruz (R-TX) 11/28/2021: Tweet – “Tonight the Jewish people begin celebrating the Festival of Lights. Heidi and I wish everyone throughout Texas, America, Israel, and around the world a very Happy #Hanukkah. Link to image”
Greene (R-GA-14) 11/27/2021: Tweet – “Democrats want us censored, shut down, and imprisoned. Never apologize to Islamic terrorist sympathizers, communists, or those who fund murder with our tax dollars. @IlhanMN and the Jihad Squad are all three and are undeserving of an apology. Link to quoted tweet, “Reminder: @IlhanMN supports the use US taxpayer dollars to finance Palestinian ‘pay to slay’ programs. Those programs compensate terrorists who kill Americans & Jews. Boebert was wrong: Omar doesn’t wear suicide vests —she just wants to use your money to pay those that do”
Schweikert (R-AZ-6) 11/23/2021: Tweet – “It was a pleasure meeting with the Deputy Consul General of Israel-LA. We had a great discussion about the U.S.-Israel relationship and the strong ties here in Arizona. We must always strongly support and stand up for our longtime ally Israel. Link to image”
Lamborn (R-CO-5) 11/19/2021: Tweet – “The United Nations Relief & Work Agency promotes anti-Semetic education and teaches a new generation of Palestinians to reject Israel’s right to exist. #UNRWA must immediately stop teaching hate against the Jewish community.”
McCaul (R-TX-10) 11/19/2021: Retweet of @AJCGlobal – “Thank you, @RepMcCaul, Ranking Member of @HouseForeign, for joining AJC’s Transatlantic Friends of Israel (TFI)! Together, alongside 150+ MPs from 25 countries, we will continue to strengthen the transatlantic bond with our most vital ally. Learn more:Transatlantic Friends of Israel | AJC Transatlantic Institute”
Bacon (R-NE-2) 11/28/2021: Retweet of @AIPAC – “A strong U.S.-Israel relationship and the #AbrahamAccords have ushered in #ANewEra of cooperation between Israel and her neighbors. @israelintheUAE @UAEinIsrael Link to quoted tweet”
Long (R-MO-7) 11/24/2021: Retweet of @bpolitics – “Israel and Morocco sign an agreement on defense cooperation, including joint military exercises Israel, Morocco Sign Defense Cooperation Pact, Gantz Says – Bloomberg”
Sherman (D-CA-30) 11/22/2021: Twitter thread – “Today I was pleased to meet with Moroccan Minister of Foreign Affairs Nasser Bourita and Ambassador of Morocco to the United States, her Highness Princess Lalla Joumala. (1/2) We discussed relations between the U.S. and #Morocco, the Western Sahara, the U.S. commitment to recognize Moroccan sovereignty, and the commitment of Morocco to open an embassy in Israel. (2/2)”
Israel (Hamas Attack in Jerusalem 11/21)
Barr (R-KY-6) 11/22/2021: Twitter thread – “Yesterday, a Jewish man was killed and 3 others were injured in an attack on Jerusalem’s Western Wall, compounding this weekend’s violence. Known by members of the Sixth District’s Jewish community, this young man was targeted by terrorist group Hamas for his religious beliefs. I ask that you join me in denouncing anti-Semitism in all its forms. Please pray for the family of this man and those of the other victims.”
Frankel (D-FL-21) 11/22/2021: Tweet – “Another tragic reminder of the constant threats Israel faces from terrorism – two Rabbis and two police officers were injured, and 26-year-old Eli Kay was killed, in a Hamas terror attack in the Old City of Jerusalem. Jerusalem terror attack fatality named as South African immigrant Eli Kay | The Times of Israel”
Salazar (R-FL-27) 11/22/2021: Tweet – “Antisemitism is rising across the world, from the far left wing of Congress to the violence of Hamas. Yesterday’s terrorist attack in Jerusalem isn’t political activism; it’s not human rights; it’s a continuation of violence against the Jewish people by emboldened extremists. Link to quoted tweet”
Gottheimer (D-NJ-5) 11/21/2021: Tweet – “Heartbreaking news in Israel today. A Hamas soldier murdered Eliyahu Kay, an Israeli citizen & wounded 4 ppl in Jerusalem. Hamas is a terrorist organization, as designated by the US, committed to the destruction of Israel. May Eli’s memory be a blessing. Link to www.jpost.com”
Long (R-MO-7) 11/21/2021: Retweet of @HananyaNaftali – “This is the brave border policewoman who fought with her bare hands the Palestinian terrorist. “He tried to grab my weapon and stabbed me in the hand. After that he stabbed me in the head, I kept fighting him while bleeding, then I took a few steps back and my partner shot him”. Link to image”
Long (R-MO-7) 11/21/2021: Retweet of @HananyaNaftali – “Eliyahu David Kay (26), is the victim who was murdered today in the Palestinian terrorist attack. He worked at the Wetsern Wall in Jerusalem. May God avenge his blood.”
Israel (US Consulate in Jerusalem)
Hagerty (R-TN) 11/21/2021: Tweet – “It’s an important signal to the Biden Admin & our ally Israel that there is strongly supported bicameral legislation to block partisan attempts to divide Israel’s eternal & indivisible capital. Pleased to have my House colleagues join me in this effort. Link to jewishinsider.com”
Murphy (D-CT) 11/19/2021: Tweet – “This was open for 100 years, closed by Trump, and [reopening it] would be an important signal to the Palestinians that we are intent on being a broker for peace,” said Murphy. “Every day that that consulate remains closed makes it much harder to re-open.” Biden’s balancing act in the Middle East has a problem: Israel – POLITICO”
Israel (Targeting Hamas & Hezbollah)
Bacon (R-NE-2) 11/24/2021: Retweet of @AdamMilstein – “An important and much needed development: #Australia recognizes the entirety of #Hezbollah as a terrorist organization. Australia designates entirety of Hezbollah a terrorist organization”
Mast (R-FL-18) 11/20/2021: Retweet of @AIPAC – “Thank you @RepJoshG @RepBrianMast @RepVanTaylor for your leadership. This important bipartisan legislation would sanction supporters of Palestinian terrorist groups Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ). Defeating terrorism is necessary for peace. Link to quoted tweet”
Deutch (D-FL-22) 11/19/2021: Tweet – “Pleased to see the UK join the US and EU in making clear there are no distinctions in a terrorist organization. Hamas to be declared a terrorist group by UK – BBC News”
Gottheimer (D-NJ-5) 11/19/2021: Twitter thread – “Financing terrorist groups including Hamas will not be tolerated. That’s why the Bipartisan Hamas International Financing Prevention Act, which was just endorsed by the bipartisan Problem Solvers Caucus, is so critical. Link to www.jns.org It helps isolate terrorist organizations including Hamas, Hezbollah, and Palestinian Islamic Jihad and cut them off at the source.”
McCaul (R-TX-10) 11/19/2021: Twitter thread – “LR @RepMcCaul “Grateful to the UK for moving to designate all of #Hamas as a terrorist organization. Hamas launched over 4,500 rockets at Israeli civilians earlier this year. All countries must work together to prevent them from having the resources to rebuild their arsenal. Link to quoted tweet “That’s why I support H.R. 261, introduced by @RepBrianMast, to impose stronger US sanctions on Hamas and its backers.””
Hagerty (R-TN) 11/19/2021: Tweet – “I applaud UK Home Secretary @PritiPatel & PM @BorisJohnson’s government for designating Hamas in its entirety, including its so-called “political” wing, as a terrorist organization. Link to quoted tweet”
Risch (R-ID) 11/19/2021: Tweet – “I welcome reports that the #UK is to designate #Hamas as a terrorist org. & I encourage others to follow suit. This reflects the dangerous reality on the ground w/ no distinction between its military & political wings—both receive #Iranian support to threaten #Israel.”
Tenney (R-NY-22) 12/02/2021: Twitter thread – “What a hot take. Biden is still pressuring Iran? Is this what you mean by “pressure”? “President Joe Biden’s administration has so far chosen not to enforce the sanctions against Chinese individuals and companies…” China’s Iran oil purchases rebound on lower prices, fresh quotas | Reuters Link to quoted tweet FACT: Purchases of Iranian oil by China, which are going unpunished by this administration, are a lifeline for the regime in Iran. They alleviate all pressure and any real incentive for Iran to negotiate a comprehensive agreement. Our leverage is much weaker today as a result.”
Wicker (R-MS) 12/02/2021: Tweet – “The Iran Deal was deeply flawed from the start, and as Tehran inches toward a nuclear weapon @POTUS is pressing to rejoin it. The U.S. cannot acquiesce to those who would do us harm. We have to stand up to them. Analysis: Iran ups nuclear ante as Vienna deal talks resume | AP News”
Tenney (R-NY-22) 12/02/2021: Tweet – “We went from pressuring #Iran under Trump, to being pressured by Iran under Biden. The result? Iran is now closer to a bomb than it was before.”
Turner (R-OH-10) 12/02/2021: Retweet of @Brad_L_Bowman – “Strategic Surprise: A Conversation on Nuclear & Missile Threats with Rep. Mike Turner. I discuss w/ @repmiketurner nuclear, missile, & space threats from #China, Russia, #Iran, & #NorthKorea – & how the U.S. should respond. @FDD @FDD_CMPP @CliffordDMay FDD | Strategic Surprise: A Conversation on Nuclear and Missile Threats with Rep. Mike Turner”
Ernst (R-IA) 12/01/2021: Tweet – “The Biden Administration must not concede to the murderous Iranian regime. I’m backing an effort to impose human rights sanctions against Iranian leadership and hold them accountable for their malign activities. Iran Insists on Immediate Lifting of Sanctions as Nuclear Talks Resume – The New York Times”
Deutch (D-FL-22) 11/30/2021: Twitter thread – “The head of the IAEA confirms it was unable to resolve its access issues during recent visit to Iran. Iran has already exceeded limits set forth in the JCPOA, and it continues to impede IAEA monitoring & verification. (1/2) High-level Meetings in Iran ‘Inconclusive,’ IAEA Director General tells Board… | iaea.org If Iran’s leaders are not pursuing weapons, there is no reason for Iran to deny IAEA inspectors the access they need. We cannot ignore these facts as talks recommence. (2/2)”
Fallon (R-TX-4) 11/30/2021: Tweet – “This is a strategic mistake that emboldens the world’s largest state sponsor of terrorism. It’s time for Iran to start making concessions, not the United States. Iran: All discussions during previous nuclear talks ‘subject to… | thehill.com”
Green (R-TN-7) 11/30/2021: Tweet – “By even considering reentering the Iran Nuclear Deal, Joe Biden oozes weakness in the face of Tehran. As Iran continues to enrich uranium at unacceptable levels, Joe Biden must put his foot down. Iran’s Nuclear Negotiators Make the U.S. Sit at the Kiddie Table – WSJ”
Hagedorn (R-MN-1) 11/30/2021: Tweet – “Great piece from @Bryan_E_Leib in @Newsmax on Biden’s silence on the Islamic Republic of Iran murdering their citizens and my resolution recognizing the horrors of “Bloody November” massacre. President Biden: Break Your Silence on the Islamic Republic of Iran… | newsmax.com”
Lowenthal (D-CA-47) 11/30/2021: Tweet – “The Trump admin abandoning the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) was dangerous as it brought Iran closer to nuclear weapons & threatened the entire region. It is now more important than ever to rebuild diplomatic solutions. Three years late, Israelis finally hear the truth about Trump… | haaretz.com”
Khanna (D-CA-17) 11/30/2021: Tweet – “Leaving the Iran Nuclear Deal was a disaster then. It’s a disaster today. The previous administration got to look tough by leaving the deal, but at the end of the day, they made the world a more dangerous place. We have to fix it. Iran preparing to enrich weapons-grade uranium, Israel warns U.S…. | axios.com”
Waltz (R-FL-6) 11/29/2021: Tweet – “Obama’s Iran Nuclear deal lifted sanctions while Iran continued supporting terrorism, ballistic missiles and took hostages. Trump was right to pull us out. Desperate to get any deal at any cost, expect “maximum concessions” instead of “maximum pressure” from the Biden admin.”
Murphy (D-CT) 11/29/2021: Retweet of @mattduss – “As talks get started again, just a reminder that the JCPOA is a really strong nonproliferation agreement supported by the US’s most important allies and the overwhelming majority of nonproliferation and security experts, and opposed by a small faction of hardliners. Link to quoted tweet”
McClain (R-MI-10) 11/29/2021: Tweet – “America cannot and should not bend to a one-sided deal with Iran. @POTUS, this is a country that not only can’t be trusted, but can’t be reasoned or negotiated with. US and Iran seek to break impasse at talks on reviving nuclear deal… | bbc.com”
Cornyn (R-TX) 11/28/2021: Retweet of @mdubowitz – “Iranian Brig.-General: “We will not back off from the annihilation of Israel, even one millimeter. We want to destroy Zionism in the world,” Shekarchi told the Iranian Students News Agency.” Iranian Brig.-Gen. urges destruction of Israel prior to nuke talks… | jpost.com”
Banks (R-IN-3) 11/28/2021: Tweet – “Although Biden is eager to side with Iran’s brutal regime for reviving the nuclear deal, Americans should stand together with freedom loving Iranians to support their fight for freedom against tyranny! Link to quoted tweet”
Fallon (R-TX-4) 11/28/2021: Tweet – “Iran, China, and Russia – their recent aggressions on the global stage proves that they have ZERO respect for the Biden Administration.”
Lesko (R-AZ-8) 11/28/2021: Tweet – “I joined @RepBryanSteil in a letter expressing concern about the Biden Admin negotiating with Iran’s oppressive regime that commits human rights violations against its own people and is a state sponsor of terrorism. This is UNACCEPTABLE! Steil Leads Letter Demanding Answers on Iranian Drone Strike at American Military Outpost… | steil.house.gov” [Re-tweeted by Steil (R-WI-1)]
Donalds (R-FL-19) 11/26/2021: Retweet of @LibertyIranian – “BREAKING: @LibertyIranian issues statement on the developing situation in the #Isfahan province of the #IslamicRepublic. The time is now for the American people & our elected leaders to stand with the Iranian people against the oppressive Regime. #IranProtests #Isfahan Link to image”
Tenney (R-NY-22) 11/26/2021: Retweet of @KasraAarabi – “We call on the #UK govt to take action against #Iran’s regime through Magnistky sanctions. On the anniversary of the November 2019 #IranProtests — when #Khamenei’s regime killed 1500 civilians — we identify 10 officials for the UK to sanction Britain Must Take Action Against Iran’s Regime Through the Magnitsky Sanctions | Institute for Global Change… | institute.global”
Waltz (R-FL-6) 11/26/2021: Tweet – “No surprise the Biden admin is considering entering a new Iran Nuclear Deal that’s even weaker than the Obama admin’s deal rather than continuing max pressure on the Iranian Regime. It will lead to a nuclear armed Iran. Link to video”
Waltz (R-FL-6) 11/26/2021: Tweet – “There are Americans being held hostage in Iran right now. Trump held the Iranian regime accountable, but of course, with Biden in the White House, we’re back to ‘maximum concessions’ instead of maximum pressure. Link to video”
Waltz (R-FL-6) 11/26/2021: Tweet – “The Iranian regime’s on its back foot. Their economy & currency are tanking and they can’t pay their terrorist proxies. They’re on the cusp of returning to the negotiating table weaker, but not if the Biden Admin concedes everything to get little in return. Link to video”
Hagerty (R-TN) 11/24/2021: Twitter thread – “Rob Malley, who is not Senate confirmed, leads Biden efforts to revive JCPOA & wants to give the world’s biggest state sponsor of terror “total” sanctions relief. He sees Iran as a victim whose aggression is driven by its “exclusion” from region. Link to quoted tweet Malley’s views are wrong & dangerous. Biden won’t commit to submit new or revived Iran deal as treaty. It’s time for the #Senate to vote on my Iran Sanctions Relief Review Act for congressional approval of new Iran sanctions relief. Link to www.hagerty.senate.gov”
Hagedorn (R-MN-1) 11/23/2021: Tweet – “I was moved to introduce this resolution recognizing “Bloody November” and condemning the Iranian regime for murdering 1,500 civilians. We stand with the Iranian people who yearn for freedom and a peaceful Middle East. Read more from @BreitbartNews: Hagedorn Leads Resolution Panning Iran ‘Bloody November’ Massacre”
Tenney (R-NY-22) 11/23/2021: Tweet – “Honored to join @RepHagedorn in condemning the Iranian regime for its brutal 2019 killing of 1,500 innocent civilians. The Biden Admin wants to ignore this and other tragedies for the sake of a deal. But we will never forget. #Iran #IranProtests Hagedorn Leads Resolution Panning Iran ‘Bloody November’ Massacre” [Re-tweeted by Hagedorn (R-MN-1)]
Banks (R-IN-3) 11/23/2021: Retweet of @lachlan – “New @RepJimBanks legislation would dramatically increase financial disclosure by congressional witnesses, including any foreign gov funding for think tanks that employ them, and any consulting/advisory gigs for Chinese, Russian, or Iranian nationals Link to www.axios.com”
Huizenga (R-MI-2) 11/23/2021: Retweet of @lachlan – “New @RepJimBanks legislation would dramatically increase financial disclosure by congressional witnesses, including any foreign gov funding for think tanks that employ them, and any consulting/advisory gigs for Chinese, Russian, or Iranian nationals Link to www.axios.com”
Banks (R-IN-3) 11/22/2021: Retweet of @josh_hammer – “A Better Path Forward for Handling Iran,” via @RepJimBanks and @MichaelMakovsky in today’s @NewsweekOpinion. A Better Path Forward for Handling Iran | Opinion”
Hagedorn (R-MN-1) 11/21/2021: Tweet – “#ICYMI: Great piece from the @FreeBeacon on my resolution recognizing the anniversary of “Bloody November” and condemning the Iran regime’s attack that killed 1,500 protesters. Read here: GOP Resolution Condemns Iran’s 2019 Crackdown of Protesters That Killed 1,500 – Washington Free Beacon”
Lesko (R-AZ-8) 11/21/2021: Tweet – “Proud to cosponsor @RepTonyGonzales’ Protecting Military Installations from Foreign Espionage Act that requires a review of land acquisitions by individuals connected to Russia, China, Iran, or North Korea near military bases. Link to gonzales.house.gov”
Thompson (D-CA-5) 11/21/2021: Tweet – “This week, I led a bipartisan group of my colleagues to urge the Army Secretary to award Purple Hearts to soldiers wounded in a January 2020 missile attack in Iraq. Read more from @CBSNews. Lawmakers call on Army to award soldiers injured in Iran missile attack Purple Hearts, citing CBS News investigation – CBS News ”
Deutch (D-FL-22) 11/19/2021: Tweet – “US, EU & GCC are united: Iran can never acquire nuclear weapons. The IAEA confirms Iran is enriching uranium & other developments well past JCPOA limits. Iran must stop & come back into compliance as we push for a longer & stronger deal. Link to www.state.gov”
Hagerty (R-TN) 11/19/2021: Tweet – “After Biden Admin’s appeasement to Iran regime & disastrous withdrawal from Afghanistan, I remain convinced Congress must not only repeal the outdated AUMFs but replace them. Thursday I filed an NDAA amendment to repeal ’91 & ’02 AUMFs & replace them w/ an updated authorization. Link to image”
Rubio (R-FL) 11/19/2021: Tweet – “As thousands of Iranians gather in #Isfahan protesting the horrific crimes of the Ayatollah’s regime, Sen Rubio stands in solidarity w/ peaceful protesters. U.S. shouldn’t lift sanctions on a regime that oppresses its people in pursuit of nuclear weapons. #ExpressionNOToppression”
Beyer (D-VA-8) 12/01/2021: Tweet – “New: statement from Egypt Human Rights Caucus members on revelations linking the Egyptian Air Force to suspected extrajudicial killings — with @RepMalinowski @RepAndyLevin @RepTedLieu @RepRoKhanna @Ilhan @RepMoulton @RepSaraJacobs Link to image” [Re-tweeted by Levin (D-MI-9)
Meeks (D-NY-5) 11/26/2021: Tweet – “CM @RepGregoryMeeks: I stand with 40+ human rights orgs in calling on Egypt to drop all charges against @EIPR’s @HossamBahgat and end unjust prosecutions, arbitrary detentions, travel bans & asset freezes on civil society groups. Egypt: End Harassment of Rights Defender… | hrw.org” [Re-tweeted by Deutch (D-FL-22)]
Syria & Lebanon
Miller (R-IL-15) 12/02/2021: Tweet – “Under President Trump, we had border security. Now, foreign nationals from 50 countries freely cross our border which puts our families at risk. I joined @mtgreenee to IMPEACH BIDEN for violating our immigration laws but establishment RINOs will let him get away with this! Link to quoted tweet”
Gonzales (R-TX-23) 12/01/2021: Retweet of @BillFOXLA – “NEW: Border Patrol in Del Rio sector report that just last week alone, they apprehended illegal immigrants from Syria, Lebanon, Eritrea (Northeast Africa), Uzbekistan, and Tajikistan. In October, the sector encountered 28,111 migrants from 50 different countries. @FoxNews”
Miller (R-IL-15) 12/01/2021: Tweet – “Foreign nationals from 50 countries are crossing our southern border because of the Biden-Harris open border policies, this is a massive national security crisis! I introduced Articles of Impeachment against Biden because he is purposely violating our immigration laws! Link to quoted tweet”
Pfluger (R-TX-11) 12/01/2021: Retweet of @BillFOXLA – “NEW: Border Patrol in Del Rio sector report that just last week alone, they apprehended illegal immigrants from Syria, Lebanon, Eritrea (Northeast Africa), Uzbekistan, and Tajikistan. In October, the sector encountered 28,111 migrants from 50 different countries. @FoxNews”
DeFazio (D-OR-4) 11/19/2021: Retweet of @demandprogress – “Yesterday a bipartisan letter was sent to the Biden admin, led by @RepPeterDeFazio @RepNancyMace @RepBowman & endorsed by Demand Progress, asking the admin to provide a detailed legal justification for its unauthorized strikes in Syria & Iraq this year. Link to www.politico.com”
Durbin (D-IL) 11/26/2021: Tweet – “UAE’s case to have its candidate head Interpol would be strengthened if it released jailed human rights advocate Ahmed Mansoor. Interpol election highlights tensions among democracies, authoritarian countries… | www.washingtonpost.com”
Barrasso (R-WY) 11/26/2021: Retweet of @localnews8 – “On Thursday, Wyoming Senator John Barrasso shared dinner with Wyoming sailors and marines serving in Bahrain. Barrasso shares Thanksgiving dinner with Wyoming troops in Bahrain – Local News 8… | localnews8.com”
Barrasso (R-WY) 11/25/2021: Twitter thread – “Shared Thanksgiving dinner today with Wyoming sailors and Marines serving ten time zones away in Bahrain. They’re eyeball to eyeball with Iran in the Persian Gulf and are doing an incredible job protecting America and our allies. Barrasso Shares Thanksgiving Dinner with Wyoming Troops in Bahrain – News Releases – United States Senator John Barrasso… | bit.ly Link to image Bringing a little bit of Wyoming to our troops serving overseas on Thanksgiving is a tradition I look forward to every year. I made sure to let them know that everyone at home is thinking of them and looking forward to their safe return. Link to image”
Inhofe (R-OK) 11/19/2021: Twitter thread – “I was honored to meet with His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed, the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, and others during my visit in June about our mutual concern regarding Chinese military activities in the Middle East. I pledged during that visit to work closely with the UAE … Link to quoted tweet …to ensure that our bilateral relationship moves forward–& I am thrilled w/ this development today. I look forward to making sure the Biden admin continues productive conversations w/our Emirati friends about advancing the F-35 sale, which would build our long-term relationship.”
Saudi Arabia & Yemen
Pfluger (R-TX-11) 12/02/2021: Tweet – “Biden energy strategy: CANCEL pipelines BAN drilling permits PENALIZE American producers Then… BEG Russia and Saudi Arabia to produce more oil Interior calls for hiking rates on oil and gas companies to drill on federal lands | Fox Business”
Dingell (D-MI-12) 12/01/2021: Tweet – “Grateful to have had the chance to work with @RepPeterDeFazio on a host of issues from the war in Yemen to passing the most significant investment in our nation’s infrastructure in generations. Wishing him all the best in his retirement from Congress after 36 years of service.” [Re-tweeted by DeFazio (D-OR-4)]
Paul (R-KY) 12/01/2021: Tweet – “Amen! Next week I will force a vote to stop funding the Saudi starvation blockade of Yemen. Senate Skeptics are Right: End Missile Sales to Saudi Arabia – The American Conservative Senate Skeptics are Right: End Missile Sales to Saudi Arabia – The American Conservative”
Khanna (D-CA-17) 11/28/2021: Twitter thread – “It’s time to set the record straight: It’s on oil companies to lower their prices instead of raking in BILLIONS in profits and forcing consumers to pay the ultimate price. President Biden will tap into U.S. oil reserves in concert with other nations…. | nytimes.com Link to reply @matt061894 Not at all for nationalizing. Just for ending their subsidies, having them take ownership for past lies on climate, and charge non monopoly prices consistent with free market principles. Link to reply @matt061894 We should massively be increasing investments in renewables and EVs to lower demand and price. But why not reinstate the ban on oil exports in place until 2015. Shouldn’t Americans get access to our oil first to lower prices?”
Cramer (R-ND) 11/28/2021: Twitter thread – “No surprises here, the Biden Administration is once again seeking to increase the cost of American energy. Major hikes to federal royalty fees on oil companies only increases production costs, reduces state and local revenues, and helps foreign competitors like Russia and Saudi Link to image Arabia. So much for using every available tool to lower gasoline prices. Joe Biden is using every possible tool to raise gas and energy prices and shut down responsible energy development and production in the U.S. Not to mention, this will only increase global GHG emissions contrary to their “climate goals.”
Cornyn (R-TX) 11/27/2021: Retweet of @Norman_Roule – “The UAE is a consistent leader in regional legal reform. Saudi Arabia has also transformed elements of its legal code. The ongoing social transformation of the region remains impressive. Link to quoted tweet”
Murphy (D-CT) 11/27/2021: Tweet – “This would be corrupt even if his father-in-law wasn’t running for President again, but given Kushner’s plans to be making Middle East policy again soon this is next level stuff.” Linked to article, Seeking Backers for New Fund, Jared Kushner Turns to Middle East (New York Times)
Paul (R-KY) 11/26/2021: Tweet – “A message needs to be sent to Saudi Arabia that we don’t approve of their war with Yemen… Sens. Rand Paul, Bernie Sanders, and Mike Lee issue joint resolution to put Yemeni people before profits… | washingtonexaminer.com” [Re-tweeted by Long (R-MO-7)]
Khanna (D-CA-17) 11/26/2021: Tweet – “It’s unacceptable that the US continues to provide military support to the Saudi-led coalition driving the world’s largest humanitarian crisis in Yemen. My NDAA amendment with @SenSanders will finally put an end to it. Yemen War Will Have Killed 377,000 By Year’s End: UN… | www.barrons.com”
Omar (D-MN-5) 11/24/2021: Retweet of @jacobin – “Two bills now before Congress would block a proposed $650 million arms sale to Saudi Arabia. That won’t end the war in Yemen, but it’s a necessary start. Progressive lawmakers should join Ilhan Omar and Bernie Sanders in supporting the bills. To Stabilize Yemen, the United States Must Stop Selling Arms to Saudi Arabia”
Cornyn (R-TX) 11/24/2021: Twitter thread – “Ironic that Biden administration’s response to high energy prices is to encourage Russia and Saudis to pump more oil, and releasing a token amount of oil from the SPR. Link to quoted tweet It shows the US needs an “all of the above” energy policy, relying on innovation, not regulation and taxation to reduce emissions + reestablishing our dependency on foreign imports is strategically dumb. We can create jobs & meet demand here in the USA, if the pols with let us.”
Omar (D-MN-5) 11/22/2021: Tweet – “Exactly right. We should NEVER sell weapons to human rights abusers. Congress has the authority to stop these sales AND we must exercise that power. Link to quoted tweet”
Burgess (R-TX-26) 11/21/2021: Tweet – “We can mitigate environmental impacts by promoting cleaner American energy exports instead of prioritizing Chinese, Russian, and Saudi Arabian dirty energy products.”
Long (R-MO-7) 11/21/2021: Retweet of @AP – “The fiancee of slain Saudi critic Jamal Khashoggi joined a chorus of voices calling on pop star Justin Bieber to cancel his concert in Saudi Arabia next month. Saudi critic’s fiancee urges Justin Bieber to cancel F1 show”
Omar (D-MN-5) 11/20/2021: Twitter thread – “Republicans want people to “be armed and dangerous.” And we are still out here talking about “wokeness” Link to video Link to reply @AldenofSaturday What? I am literally leading the bill to stop the sale.”
McGovern (D-MA-2) 11/20/2021: Tweet – “Selling weapons to repressive regimes that kill journalists, suppress free speech, and abuse human rights is morally indefensible. No more arms sales to Saudi Arabia! House Democrats Are Challenging Joe Biden’s Huge Arms Deal With Saudi Arabia | HuffPost Latest News”
Sanders (I-VT) 11/19/2021: Tweet – “As the Saudi government continues to wage its devastating war in Yemen and repress its own people, we should not be rewarding them with more arms sales. Link to quoted tweet”
Long (R-MO-7) 11/24/2021: Tweet – “Turkey’s central bank called the lira’s slide “completely detached from economic fundamentals.” Erdogan’s detractors would say that’s a good way to describe the president. “Earth to Washington Earth to Washington Come in Washington.” #EnergyIndependenceNow Link to billylong.com Link to quoted tweet”
Cornyn (R-TX) 11/22/2021: Tweet – “Might the Turkish Electorate Be Ready to Say Goodbye to Erdoğan After Two Decades in Power? Might the Turkish Electorate Be Ready to Say Goodbye to Erdoğan After Two Decades in Power?”